When it comes to lipstick, let’s just say that things can get a little messy. Lipstick can get on your teeth, fade or cringe as soon as you apply it. And that’s not cute.
One type of lipstick that many girls struggle with is matte which, if applied well can look really chic. If you’re struggling to apply your lip color and get a flawless finish, we have a few application secrets that will change your life.
Prep your lips
Applying lipstick on dry, chapped lips is a no no. Start with the following to prep your lips
- Exfoliate with a soft, damp toothbrush by just brushing it over gently on your lips.
- Hydrate with a nourishing lip balm.
- Apply a lip primer (optional but makes the color stay longer and prevents it from bleeding)
Always apply lip liner
Apply a lip liner of a similar color to keep your lipstick in the correct spot and prevent it from getting messy. Lip liner can also make your lips appear fuller, precise and well-defined. A few rules when applying lip liner:
- Choose a lip liner color that compliments your skin tone
- You can also match the lip liner color with your lipstick
- Focus on the outer lines because the inner lines will be covered by lipstick anyway
Here’s a lipencil we highly recommend.
Mistakes no one ever told you about
- If you have really dry lips, stay away from matte lipsticks because they dry the lips even more. The other option would be to use matte lipstick with moisturizing ingredients like the NOTE Matte lipstick which is made from shea butter and other essential oils.
- Don’t apply dark colors if you have thin lips they tend to make your lips even smaller
- Don’t forget to layer the lipstick if you want it to last longer
- Most importantly, don’t apply lipstick outside the lip line